Close Alert Banner
Skip to Content
Report a ConcernContact Us
View our Facebook Page View our X Page View our Instagram Page

District of Kent Logo

Contact Us
  • Living Here
    View our Building Permits page
    Building Permits
    • Accessibility
    • Burning Permits
    • Bylaw Enforcement
    • Cemeteries
    • Community Event Calendar
    • Community Gardens
    • Community Gifts Donation Program
    • Dog Licences
    • Emergency Services
    • Home and Property
    • Invasive Plants
    • Mapping and GIS
    • Roads and Sidewalks
    • Transit
    • Sustainability Spotlight
  • Explore and Play
    View our Connect to Rec page
    Connect to Rec
    • Community Event Calendar
    • Experience Agassiz
    • Facilities
    • Leisure Guide
    • Parks and Trails
    • Visiting Kent
    • Volunteer
  • Business and Development
    • Active Transportation Network Plan
    • Bids and Tenders
    • Business Licences and Permits
    • Community Profile
    • Development and Planning
    • Filming in Kent
    • Grant in Aid Program
    • Short Term Rentals
  • District Hall
    • Bids and Tenders
    • Bylaw Library
    • Contact Us
    • Emergency Operations Centre
    • Financial Plans and Reports
    • Freedom of Information and Privacy
    • Join Our Team
    • Local Elections
    • Mayor and Council
    • News and Notices
    • Property Taxes
    • Utilities
I Want To
  • Apply or Register

    • Login or Register to Property Information Online
    • Building Permits
    • Burning Permits
    • Business Licences and Permits
    • Speaking Before Council
    • Volunteer
  • Pay

    • Dog Licences
    • Facilities
    • Parking Tickets
    • Property Taxes
  • Report

    • Report a Concern
    • Property Damage

Default Interior Banner

125 Anniversary Heritage Recognition Awards

 
  • Open new window to share this page via Facebook
  • Open new window to share this page via LinkedIn
  • Open new window to share this page via Twitter
  • Email this page
Email icon Back to Search
medal with dates and kent 125 logo

125 Anniversary Heritage Recognition Awards

The District of Kent, in collaboration with volunteers of the 125th Anniversary Committee, is pleased to announce the recipients of the District’s 125th Anniversary Heritage Recognition Award. 

The Heritage Recognition Award is to honor long-standing heritage families who established themselves in the District of Kent from 1895 (or earlier) up to 1950 and continue to have living descendants residing in the District. 

 View the Heritage Recognition Awards

Over 130 families from Seabird Island Band and the District of Kent will be recognized virtually.  A representative from each family received a commemorative 125th Anniversary medallion, District Pin and Memories Book.

Thank you to Bev Kennedy, Valerie Edmondson, Marlene Sand and Carol Mackay, a core group of volunteers from the 125th Anniversary Sub-Committee, who worked tirelessly on researching and gathering the information required to develop the Heritage Recognition Award and the list of recipients. 

Although these volunteers performed extensive research on all heritage families in the District, in some circumstances, it was difficult to validate the information, especially going back over 125 years and further. Any questions regarding the 125th Anniversary Heritage Recognition Award or if we have inadvertently missed someone, please contact Ms. Jennifer Thornton, Director of Community Services & Projects at Municipal Hall. 

Seabird Island Band Recipients

We begin our Heritage Recognition Award Presentation with Seabird Island Band recipients.  Thank you to Serena Peters, Coordinator of the Genealogy Project at Seabird Island Band.  In alphabetical order:

No.

Family Name

Family Representative

1

ALEXANDER

David Lawrence (Larry) Shaw

2

ANDREW

Donna Ann Andrew

3

ANDREW

David “Wally” Chapman

4

ANDREW

Robert Gabriel

5

ANGUS

Sandra Hope

6

BOBB

Shirley Peters

7

BOBB

Wayne Bobb

8

CHARLES

Rose Charles

9

EWEN

Frederick James Price

10

HARRIS

Emma (Mazie) Peters

11

HARRY

Ernest Harry

12

HOPE

Carol Hope

13

JOE

Rocky Joe

14

JOE

Ernest Harry

15

JOSEPH

Margarette De Groot

16

PETERS

Alfred (Tony) Anthony Peters

17

PETERS

Naomi Peters

18

PETERS

Earle Peters

19

PETERS

Christina Lewis

20

PETTIS

Carol McIntyre

21

SEYMOUR

Clement Eugene Seymour

22

THOMAS

Frederick Thomas

23

THOMAS

Henry Thomas

24

LOUIE

Richard Moses Louie

25

LOUIS

Anthony Walter Louis

26

MCINTYRE

Sarah Wanda Forseth

27

MCNEIL-BOBB

Daryl “Chuck” McNeil-Bobb

 

Pre 1895

We now move onto those families who established themselves prior to 1895, before the District was incorporated as a municipality.   You’ll recognize several of these last names as current street names.

No.

Family Name

Year Established

28

WALKER, William & Mary

1860

29

HICKS, Thomas Benton

1866

30

ASHTON, Richard L

1885

31

INKMAN, Charles & Mary

1886

32

LANGSFORD, Thomas

1886

33

MCRAE, Donald & Margaret

1886

34

DUNCAN, James & Ida

1890’s

35

KENNEDY, Francis & Edna

1890

36

MORROW, James & Matilda

1891

37

PROBERT, Evan Henry Probert

1891

38

GREEN, William & Melinda

1894

39

HUBBARD, Albert & Rose

1894

40

WHELPTON, Joseph & Elizabeth

1894

41

MCRAE, John

Pre 1895

 

From 1895-1900

The District of Kent was incorporated in 1895 with A. St. George Hammersley as Reeve and Harry Fooks as the Clerk. Fred Whelpton started to operate the first custom thresher and a few years later he introduced the first steam outfit for thresher work. In 1898 a lumber mill was built on Discovery Mountain, later the mill was moved to Green Mountain.

 No.

Family Name

Year Established

42

MCLEAN, James & Johanna

1895

43

WILSON, Harry & Alice

1895

44

PENNEY, John & Violet

1896

45

MARTIN Family

1900

46

LIMBERT, Martin & Anny Rose

1900

 

From 1901-1909

From 1901 – 1909, the following families established their roots in Agassiz, Including Duncan Farquhar McRae, whose descendants used to live near the Hammersley Pump Station. The first Agassiz-Rosedale ferry began regular service that operated up until 1956 when the bridge was opened.

 

No.

Family Name

 

Year Established

47

MCRAE, Duncan Farquhar

 

Pre 1903

48

MCPHERSON, William & Annie

 

1903

49

LOVELL, Charles & Martha

 

1907

50

SMITH, Charles

 

1908

51

TUYTENNS, Ivo & Pauline

 

1909

 

From 1910 -1919

Dr. Peter McCaffrey opened the first medical office in Agassiz.  In 1910 the Bank of North America opened the first banking business in the community.  Also in 1910, the B.C. Telephone Co. offered the first commercial telephone service in the District of Kent. 1917 saw the implementation of dehydrated food processing, especially potatoes for Army contracts, commence at the hop yards.

No.

Family Name

Year Established

52

APPEL, Johan & Maria

1911

53

BOUREL, John & Desiree

1911

54

HEATH, William & Mary (Janie)

1911

55

MACKAY, Donald & Margaret

1911

56

HENLEY, William & Edith

1912

57

HARDY, Thomas & Ann

1913

58

CAIGNOU, Romanous & Mary

1914

59

WEBB, Ernest & Catherine

1916

60

CAMERON, Robert & Jean

1917

From 1920 – 1929

In 1920 the first commercial supply of electricity from a Delco plant was installed in the district. W. A. Jones opened a much appreciated Drug Store on Pioneer Ave. Motor freight service between Agassiz and Chilliwack was offered by Jack Inkman – in 1926 Arthur Green started a freight service from Agassiz into Vancouver via the newly opened Lougheed Highway. The first municipal hall was built in 1926 with a replacement built in 1956.  The original municipal hall was then moved to the Agricultural fairgrounds to be used for many community based activities.

No.

Family Name

Year Established

61

EDMONDSON, Mark “Leo” & Maud

1920’s

62

GIBSON, James & Mary

1920

63

ROUSSEL, Edouard & Josephine

1920

64

CASTONGUAY, Roland

1923

65

OHMAN, John Adolf

1923

66

BROUGHALL, Edward & Jane

1926

67

STANLEY, Ken & Florence

1926

68

VANDALE, Anna & Frank

1926

69

IRWIN, Jim & Kathleen

1927

 

From 1930 – 1939

1930 featured the first regular bus run to Agassiz from Vancouver and points in between by Pacific Stage Lines. Library service started in November of 1931.

The Limestone quarry was in operation under the management of Maurice Tuyttens. The Agassiz Advance newspaper commenced publication.

No.

Family Name

Year Established

70

GIBSON, Ross & Pansy

1930

71

HOBBINS, Rev J.H

1930

72

TYFTING, Esse & Myrtle

1930

73

CALLANDER, Robert & Violet

1930’s

74

FEDORKEW, Nick & Nellie

1930’s

75

WORRALL, John & Connie

1930’s

76

CUMMINGS, Malcolm & Ethel

1931

77

MCDONALD, Tom

1931

78

WESTLIN, Theodore “Ted” Sr.

1931

79

BENNEWITH, James & Florence

1932

80

GRAPPIN, Alexander & Helen

1933

81

GRYPUIK, Fred & Mary Metro

1933

82

CARLSON, Ardy & Merrial

1936

83

STEFIUK, Mike & Maria

1936

84

DAREL, Victor & Isabelle

1937

85

HANSON, Norman & Frieda

1937

86

BODNAR, John & Mary

1938

87

LANCOUR, Ambrose & Sophie

1938

88

SCIOTTI, Sam & Lorraine

1939

 

From 1940 – 1950

“Canning Corn” as a commercial farm crop was started in 1941. Lyle’s Cycle Shop started operation under the management of Lyle Whelpton. The old Aberdeen Hotel, also known as the Agassiz Hotel and the Travellers’ Inn, was renovated by Jerome Tuyttens. In 1947 the Masonic Lodge started meetings in Agassiz and in 1948 the B.P.O. Elks Lodge also established themselves. Sam Stock was crowned Corn King. The “never to be forgotten” 1948 flood occurred in late May and new dykes were built in 1949 and 1950.

No.

Family Name

Year Established

89

CHANDLER, Eva

1940

90

JEEVES, Bernard & Joyce

1940

91

LAKEBERG, Walter & Jeaneva

1940

92

CHARTRAND, Eldage & Margaret

1940’s

93

SACHE, Aime & Ethel

1940’s

94

DUNN, Michael

1941

95

KENNEDY, Dean & Barbara

1941

96

BOUCHARD, Harry & Lillian

1942

97

STRIKER, William, Fred & Family

1942

98

KROLL, Frank & Lillian

1943

99

PETERSON, August (Gus) & Sally

1943

100

WHORLY, Wade & Allison

1943

101

EDDY, James & Phyllis

1944

102

FLANDERS, Eli & Eva

1944

103

MICHALOSKI, Mike & Maria

1944

104

TREMBLAY, John & Alice

1944

105

CAMPBELL, Henry & Stella

1945

106

HAYWARD, James

Pre 1945

107

CURISTON, Roy & Edna

1945

108

DYER, Jack & Ruby

1945

109

FENWICK, George & Irene

1945

110

KEY, Fred & Agnes

1945

111

SAND, Martin & Mollie

1945

112

SCARFFE, Tom & Ellen

1945

113

GIBBARD, David & Tillie

1946

114

MARTIN, Jacob & Pauline

1946

115

SICARD, Louis & Isabelle

1946

116

SMITH, Howard & Mary

1946

117

SWYCK, Metro & Hania

1946

118

VOGSTAD, Arnfin & Inez

1946

119

BOWETT, Cecil & Thelma

1947

120

EVANS, Arthur & Violet

1947

121

GARBET, Bruce & Deana

1947

122

HUGHES, Mary

1947

123

JOHNSON, Ira “Dick” & May

1947

124

MAILLOUX, William & Audrey

1947

125

MCCULLOUGH, George

Before 1948

126

HEAL, Fred & Eileen

1948

127

HICKS, Connie

1948

128

CARSON, Jack & Marge

1949

129

HATT, Walter & Ida

1949

130

HICKS, William Harold

1949

131

MCINROY, Carl 

Before 1950

132

HARRISON, George & Sally

1950

133

TEN BOS, Peter & Johanna

1950

134

OLESKY, Peter & Tillie

Pre 1950

 

On behalf of Council, the 125th Anniversary Committee and Seabird Island Band Genealogy Project, congratulations to all heritage families for receiving this special recognition.  Your family has made a historical impact on shaping our community. 

 

 

Email iconSubscribe to News

District Hall
  • Bids and Tenders
  • Bylaw Library
  • Contact Us
    Toggle Section Contact Us Menu
    • Department Directory
    • Report a Concern
  • Emergency Operations Centre
  • Financial Plans and Reports
  • Freedom of Information and Privacy
  • Join Our Team
  • Local Elections
  • Mayor and Council
    Toggle Section Mayor and Council Menu
    • Agendas and Minutes
    • Council Members
    • Speaking Before Council
  • News and Notices
  • Property Taxes
  • Utilities

Contact Us

Subscribe to this Page

District of Kent logo

Visit Us
District of Kent
Box 70, 7170 Cheam Avenue
Agassiz, BC
V0M 1A0

Contact Us
Phone: 604-796-2235
Fax: 604-796-9854
Email Us

Recreation Centre Enquiries

Business Hours
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
We are closed on statutory holidays.

Emergency after hours calls for Utilities or Public Works, please call 1-866-951-3718

Copyright 2024 District of Kent

  • A to Z Services
  • Accessibility
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Information
  • Website Feedback
  • Contact Us
Close Old Browser Notification
Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.